Kawasaki Kips Owners

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kawasaki Kips Owners

FORUM FOR ALL GENERATION OF KAWASAKI KIPS

+6
alldisc
Matthew
nukehunt
nekman
zenkage
turbonoshayabusa
10 posters

Hi from UK

wirdy

Hi from UK Empty Hi from UK

Post by wirdy Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself to your forum - I'm wirdy (or Nigel if you prefer) and on 25 December I became the proud owner of a nice blue KR-R150 in the UK!, well, in Edinburgh - Scotland to be precise.

I had never heard of this bike before and I think I have one of only a handful that have made it to the UK.

I love the bike!. I have missed riding a two-stroke bike so much since I sold my Kawasaki KR1-S 250 about 15 years ago. I am lucky to own two other bikes, so the KR-R will be just a pampered toy.

My bike has not been looked after so well, but that will change now I own it. I have checked with Kawasaki Uk and I am unable to obtain spare parts in this country, as they do not list the bike, nor do they recognise any of the Part Numbers I have given to thenm for spare parts I need.

Could anyone give me advice on whether I could get the parts I need direct from a trustworthy dealer in Malysia / Thailiand / Indonesia?

54018-1077 Tacho Drive Cable
    13064-1185 Kick Start Lever

I will post some more pictures once the bike has been sorted out, but just for now......

Best regards, Wirdy.

Hi from UK Ade53add

Hi from UK 82d13988

Hi from UK Dfecbc6c

Hi from UK 0979c987

Hi from UK 8cf43d46

Hi from UK D5782238

Hi from UK 9a108a1d

Hi from UK A8dc3626

Hi from UK 8cdb4760

Hi from UK B63462f9

Last edited by wirdy on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)
    turbonoshayabusa
    turbonoshayabusa

Hi from UK Empty Re: Hi from UK

Post by turbonoshayabusa Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi Nigel! Very Happy Let me be the first to welcome you to these parts. It's nice to see that a few KRRs made it to the other side of your pond. Smile Regarding your question, can't Kawasaki UK bring in the parts for you ON REQUEST? It would be the cheaper option, I assume? There are lots of dealers here in Malaysia which are trustworthy, Chear Motor (one of the biggest Kawasaki dealers here, if not the biggest) being one of them. Or you could even arrange something with Kawasaki Motors Malaysia to get the parts you need... Smile

Here's the address and contact number for Kawasaki Motors (Malaysia) :

12, Jalan Jurunilai U1/20, Seksyen U1, Hicom Glenmarie Industrial Park, Shah Alam, 40150, Shah Alam, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.
    Tel : +603-5566 5688 Fax +603-5566 5699

Here's the address and contact number for Chear Motor :
    No. 1, Jln Tpp 1/10, Taman Industri Puchong, 47100 Puchong, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.
    Tel : +603-8068 2058

Hope it helps... Smile

P.S : As for the kick start lever, I think you could use a lever from other bikes that has 'em, just as long as it fits... What a Face

Last edited by turbonoshayabusa on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:08 am

Thank you Turbonoshayabusa, Smile for the information.
    I did try through my local dealer and was told that my bike is not listed on any of their databases and he suggested my bike wasn't a proper Kawasaki but made from Kawasaki parts!
    I put him right on that one! IT IS A PROPER KAWASAKI!!
    He was comparing it to some of those bikes that use the engine from Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki into their own frames.

They also put the part numbers into the same Kawasaki UK parts enquiry system and they came up as unrecognised.
    Now, I find this a challenge and another of my ideas is to give the UK Head office of Kawasaki Heavy Industries a call on Monday to see if they can obtain the parts for me.

Should this prove unsuccessful, do you know whether the numbers you listed would have an English-speaker on the other end? I'd probably try Chear motors first.

The kickstart lever on my bike is 'okay', but is from another bike and I'm a stickler for originality.

The tachometer cable, I can live without, but I do like to see my RPM!
    Or maybe I can get a new inner cable- this'll need a bit of digging.
    zenkage
    zenkage

Post by zenkage Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:18 am

Welcome wirdy!
    Its KRR ZX alright. Funny that you kawa dealers didnt recognize that =)
    All the best setting up your KRR ok ~
    turbonoshayabusa
    turbonoshayabusa

Post by turbonoshayabusa Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:12 am

The people in Chear Motor can speak english, although not fluent but I suppose it's enough for those folks there to understand what you need... Laughing Let us know the outcome alright? Smile

Cheers, Mark.

P.S : Just out of curiosity, where and who did you buy the KRR from...?
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:20 am

turbonoshayabusa wrote:P.S : Just out of curiosity, where and who did you buy the KRR from...?

From a chap who was emigrating who bought it from a taxi driver who bought it from another taxi driver - all in the Edinburgh area. Suspect Rolling Eyes

Don't know how it made its way from your part of the world to mine, (possibly by someone who came here and ended up working in the taxi driver community), but I'm glad it did.

The best part is that I only paid UKP600 for it, which I think is an absolute bargain, considering its condition, mileage (8600km) and rarity in the UK Smile
    nekman
    nekman

Post by nekman Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:27 am

Welcome to KIPS owner forum.. Item you are looking for is relatively cheap.. But cost of shipping to uk may double the price..
    It does feel special if we got to ride a rare bike..
    turbonoshayabusa
    turbonoshayabusa

Post by turbonoshayabusa Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:29 am

The KRR seems to be the weapon of choice among taxi drivers in your place Nigel... lol! And £600 (RM3000) is considered a steal even if you compare it to Malaysia. Lucky little devil... Very Happy
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:18 am

turbonoshayabusa wrote: And £600 (RM3000) is considered a steal....

Yes. Thats what i thought, but its nice to receive confirmation since i had no way of gauging what to bid for it, due to so few in the UK

It's what comes of a poor description on Ebay by the seller. I guess a lot of people just missed it.

If I ever sell it, I will make sure I don't advertise it as 'Kawasaki 150cc 2 stroke'. Very Happy like the seller did!
    turbonoshayabusa
    turbonoshayabusa

Post by turbonoshayabusa Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:46 am

Kawasaki 150cc 2stroke...ftw! cheers Hahahahaha! Well, there's a first for everything.... lol!
    nukehunt
    nukehunt

Post by nukehunt Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:31 pm

let me know what you want I'll send it from Thailand.
    I have a spare second hand tacho cable and i'm pretty sure I can get you a kick starter.
    Nukehunt
    Matthew
    Matthew

Post by Matthew Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Hello wirdy and welcome to the forum...make your self at home see all the guys are preety helpful here..you should be riding a RARE bike in your area i assume,you can also get in touch with Nuke Hunt he buys plenty of parts in thailand maybe he can lend a hand as well...Ride safe Brahhh... Smile
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Thank you for your kind offer Nukehunt Smile I'd very much like to take that up. PM sent Smile
    Matthew
    Matthew

Post by Matthew Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:53 pm

So wirdy tell me how is it like in scotland?? how are the 2 strokes motorsports there like??
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Unless you are crazy the biking season in Scotland is realistically only April-September. The rest of the time it is too cold to be enjoyable and a lot of salt is used on the roads that is awful for corrosion of alloys parts on your bike unless you wash down your bike after every trip and use loads of WD40!

So my bikes go into a heated garage for the winter and I use the car! It suits me fine because I use the winter to get my bikes ready for the next season.

As for two-strokes here- they are mainly reserved to scooters and 125 learner-legal machines and with the prospect of Euro 4 and Euro 5 emissions regulations coming into force in the near future, the 2 stroke as we know them will disappear from the new bikes lists. Although we will continue to be able to ride bikes already registered.

If I was half my age, I'd be more typical of a two stroke owner here, but what the hell, I love the noise and smell they make. As for racing, there is a thriving club racing community in the 125 series and of course the 100cc and 250 karting series is very popular for bringing on the next generation of potential racing drivers. As you'll know, many of the recent F1 world champions learnt their skills in some of the UK karting championships.

Smile

alldisc
    alldisc

Post by alldisc Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:43 pm

hi there Nigel,

welcome to this forum.

it is quite surprising to see a 2 stroke bike in UK well, to consider Euro strict emission control. for malaysians, we have another 2 years before 2 stroke bikes are removed from retail sales.

i believe your bike was brought in under Personal Import since it is better to buy a new Cagiva Mito or Aprilia RS125, which was just as cheap but with better handling, specs and easier to de-restrict. I am saying this based on the number plate, if I am not mistaken registered in first half of 2006. I believe back then both the Cagiva and Aprilia were the only 2 stroke bikes officially sold in UK.

I hope you are enjoying every bit of the bike, surely a pocket rocket even with its modest 30hp output. surely a rarity amongst the local bikers community there too. fyi, this bike is the reincarnation of the original 150cc bike produced in the late 80s with strong relation to KR1 you owned a couple of decades back.

i would be more than happy to help you obtain the parts you had mentioned, as an alternative to the list stated by turbonoshayabusa. it is your choice.

a gift from me - scanned image of the brochure for your reference.

In malaysia this bike is known as Kawasaki ZX150RR

Hi from UK Krrzx150i

turbonoshayabusa
    turbonoshayabusa

Post by turbonoshayabusa Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:54 pm

wirdy wrote:prospect of Euro 4 and Euro 5 emissions regulations coming into force in the near future,

= stock exhausts that weigh a tonne and bikes get slower... Laughing I can't imagine what Euro 10 will force manufacturers to do. affraid In Malaysia, we are only at Euro 2M, our fuel being the last deciding factor of what Euro standards we are on.
    Matthew
    Matthew

Post by Matthew Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:04 pm

For two strokes arent there any modified exshaust sold in UK???
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks for the continued offers of assistance to obtain spare parts, it's very much appreciated Smile

Another forum member in Thailand is going to try getting me the parts I need, so hopefully I am now sorted.

Yes, my bike will have been a personal import and with our rules saying a 125cc is the maximum capacity that can be ridden on a provisional licence, they are most popular. To be honest, a 150cc bike wouldn't have sold well here as an official import, due to most people gaining their full licence naturally progress onto something like a ER-5 or 400cc inline 4 grey-import, before then going onto a 600/750/900 4-stroke bike.

Personally, I've gone up that ladder and am now coming back down again! That doesn't mean I have to sell my bikes though!

......and yes, our stock system does weigh a ton, eh? I'm sooo tempted by a new system........I would be able to get one made to order here but that will be lots of £'s.

The system on the TYGA website looks good and a good price.
    It's my birthday next month.......... Very Happy
    Matthew
    Matthew

Post by Matthew Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Tyga performance??...me and turbo was dicussing about that brand previously,maybe he can share you with the insights of it bro.
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:40 pm

Through all the research & checking I've done on the net, I've found that my bike is often referred to as a Serpico SST 150.
    That looks like it had the same engine as my bike- am I right there?
    And also my insurance company will only insure it as a Serpico SST.
    turbonoshayabusa
    turbonoshayabusa

Post by turbonoshayabusa Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:58 pm

The Serpico's are our (Malaysia) KRZs... and yes, it has the same base engine but similarity ends there... funny why your bike is insured as a Serpico...
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:50 am

Anyone know the tightening torque for the front & rear spindles?
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:34 am

Ok, got them elsewhere. :-)
    88Nm rear nut
    Front nut- three white knuckles!
    ninja_cherasbt9
    ninja_cherasbt9

Post by ninja_cherasbt9 Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 am

wirdy wrote:Ok, got them elsewhere. :-)
    88Nm rear nut
    Front nut- three white knuckles!

which nut rear r u talking about.....front nut is where the nut between the handle throttle...the centre nut u mean ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 10:31 am