Kawasaki Kips Owners

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kawasaki Kips Owners

FORUM FOR ALL GENERATION OF KAWASAKI KIPS

3 posters

Front brake drag

wirdy

Front brake drag Empty Front brake drag

Post by wirdy Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:43 am

My bike has suffered from this ever since I bought it, despite a strip and clean of the front caliper.
    I took a gamble and ordered some new seals for the pistons. A quick clean up of the pistons with some autosol and new seals fitted. Now the front brake is perfect, no discernible drag and smooooth!! Well worth the £11 for new seals. I think the salt on uk roads takes its toll on brake calipers!
    Matthew
    Matthew

Front brake drag Empty Re: Front brake drag

Post by Matthew Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 am

What seals did u manage to fit on the calipers??
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:03 pm

I measured the piston diameter with a digital vernier (27mm) and ordered some for the ZZR250 that looked like it had the same calipers and were listed as OD 27mm.

A good tip is to make sure the pistons are really smooth and shiny- any corrosion and they will stick. I had one tiny bit of pitting at the very top but that was well away from the main seal and dressed in nicely with some metal polish.

They were a perfect fit. It has transformed my front brake feel and I no longer feel nervous riding over gravel since that was a bit scary with the front brake grabbing. I thought it was maybe the new pads not bedded in but it seems new seals were needed all along.

Now, what to do with the master cylinder repair kit that is on the way? Lol. That'll go on the shelf for the future then!
    gammafiber

Post by gammafiber Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:36 am

After reading your comment, Im wondering which country are you from (Road Salt?).

Scotland? Are u using ZX 150 there?
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:29 am

gammafiber wrote:
    After reading your comment, Im wondering which country are you from (Road Salt?).

Scotland? Are u using ZX 150 there?

Yes. Unusual bike to have made it to the UK I know!
    gammafiber

Post by gammafiber Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Very unsual indeed..

Anyway its nice to know a friend from Scotland visit our website here...

If you can, pls post more stories & News regarding ZX from there.. Very Happy
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:38 am

gammafiber wrote:

If you can, pls post more stories & News regarding ZX from there.. Very Happy

Once my new Tyga exhaust comes I will be itching to get out & about & I'll post some pics of riding around Scotland.
    4C today with hailstones Shocked - not good biking weather, although some of my pals were on bikes at work today.
    gammafiber

Post by gammafiber Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 am

Cool, next Monday is our Trackday at SIC. Hope it doesn't rain on that day or my 5 Arrow month old BT39 wont work very well..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:46 am