Kawasaki Kips Owners

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kawasaki Kips Owners

FORUM FOR ALL GENERATION OF KAWASAKI KIPS

+2
rahman_k
Xynos
6 posters

Another newbie with some basic questions

Xynos

Another newbie with some basic questions Empty Another newbie with some basic questions

Post by Xynos Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Hey guys, I 'm a Canadian living in Indonesia, I'm new to the forums and new to riding motorcycles. I just purchased the Ninja RR150, and of course the owners manual doesn't come written in English. So I just have a few questions regarding my bike.
    1. A few of my friends here have recommended using the pertamix (premix gas/oil) but I'm not entirely convinced this is necessary I thought the T2 oil mixed automatically?
    2. When left running in neutral it seems to rev pretty low about 500-1000rpm, is this normal or should it be adjusted?
    3. I've been having a little bit of trouble trying to get the timing right while releasing the clutch and hitting the throttle ( I assume it just takes practice but it seems really sensitive).
    4. How does the switch on the side of my gas tank work? It says off, on , and res. Now I read that res should be used when the tank is below 2L and On should be used for anything over that. I'm assuming Off would be for maintenance or when its parked for extended periods of time. Is this correct?
    rahman_k
    rahman_k

Another newbie with some basic questions Empty Re: Another newbie with some basic questions

Post by rahman_k Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Xynos wrote:Hey guys, I 'm a Canadian living in Indonesia, I'm new to the forums and new to riding motorcycles. I just purchased the Ninja RR150, and of course the owners manual doesn't come written in English. So I just have a few questions regarding my bike.
    1. A few of my friends here have recommended using the pertamix (premix gas/oil) but I'm not entirely convinced this is necessary I thought the T2 oil mixed automatically?
    2. When left running in neutral it seems to rev pretty low about 500-1000rpm, is this normal or should it be adjusted?
    3. I've been having a little bit of trouble trying to get the timing right while releasing the clutch and hitting the throttle ( I assume it just takes practice but it seems really sensitive).
    4. How does the switch on the side of my gas tank work? It says off, on , and res. Now I read that res should be used when the tank is below 2L and On should be used for anything over that. I'm assuming Off would be for maintenance or when its parked for extended periods of time. Is this correct?

Hi there Smile

1. 2t can are mixed automatically by putting the 2t oil inside the 2t tank (you can add 1 cap of the 2t into the fuel tank as a safety measure)
    2. that's normal. do you have any difficulty starting up your bike?
    3. you can adjust the clutch to have more freeplay (i prefer less free play - but harder to neutral) - you'll be fine after few days of practice
    4. on for normal riding, res when you run out of fuel, advisable to off when you park your bike overnight (to avoid the carb from overflow)
    Xynos

Another newbie with some basic questions Empty Re: Another newbie with some basic questions

Post by Xynos Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:38 pm

rahman_k wrote:2. that's normal. do you have any difficulty starting up your bike?
    ya takes quite a few tries to get it to start up and then i have to rev it for a bit in neutral before it will idle without stalling
    rahman_k wrote:4. on for normal riding, res when you run out of fuel, advisable to off
    when you park your bike overnight (to avoid the carb from overflow)
    This could be why i have trouble starting it though...
    jayjeffrey
    jayjeffrey

Post by jayjeffrey Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey Xynos,

Welcome to the community, just like you, im am relatively new here. To address the problem with your bike,

Difficulty with starting - Try to get the "feel", you will get used to it soon. It is normal that a new bike is hard to start, i faced the same problem as you previously, only after a month starting up became a breeze. Just remember to disable the switch, and tank is turned on.

Stalling with low revs - The idling should be around 1k and minimum 800. If its a cold start, then it is normal that it stalls while idling, don't be shy to use the choke for a cold start. Let the engine idle about 3-5 minutes if possible, in my case, i usually let it idle untill the smoke is lesser before i make a move. Another reminder, i am not sure about the shop you purchased the KR from, however, in my case, the shop did a very bad job, they just gave my bike to me without proper inspection. Just like you, i am a newbie too thus i did not notice them and thought it was "normal". First of all, the chains are too dry, also, make sure to send to a proper mechanic to get your timing properly tuned. It is also normal for new factory bikes to run on slightly leaner fuel.

Its not really adviseable to have 2t premix in your petrol tank, why do you think they provide you with a separate 2t tank? also, you can adjust the amount of 2t/petrol mixture from the 2t pump. so i don't really get the point of premixing 2t here since our bike can do that themselve.

Lastly, as a noob like you, i would like to share with you some really usefull reads. I find this pdf file extremely usefull, be it for seasoned or new riders. Reminds you alot of basics that will help save your life.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Riding-skills/2010/June/jun0310-riding-skills-free-guide-from-nmcu/
    jayjeffrey
    jayjeffrey

Post by jayjeffrey Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:13 pm

oh, and also, your point no.3. I had the same problem with you for the clutching part. Its true that it is sensitive, therefre don't be shy to rev it up slightly before releasing the clutch. The clutch is really different from a car, in term of sensitivity. The engine stalls easier, but no worries, i believe that you would get used to it.
    pltang

Post by pltang Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi Jayjeffrey,
    Thank you for your information on the free download for the Total Control manual. It will definately make motorcycling a lot safer.
    By the way, does anyone out there who happen to have the full service manual for our KIPS. The Kawasaki center charge me RM40 for a blurr photostat copy. This is daylight robbery; man. BTW, I believe manual should come together with the new bike.
    Tang
    jayjeffrey
    jayjeffrey

Post by jayjeffrey Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 am

yes, its the same with most of us, not only they charged us absurd price for the servicemanual, it comes in indo language... its usual for service manual to be available separately, but not at this price...
    wirdy

Post by wirdy Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:19 am

jayjeffrey wrote:

........ i would like to share with you some really usefull reads. I find this pdf file extremely usefull, be it for seasoned or new riders. Reminds you alot of basics that will help save your life.

.....Motorcycle news link ...../

Thanks. Good post.
    We always have more to learn and even though I am a seasoned rider I have picked up some tips from that article that I will practice when I'm next out.
    Matthew
    Matthew

Post by Matthew Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:23 pm

[quote="pltang"]Hi Jayjeffrey,
    Thank you for your information on the free download for the Total Control manual. It will definately make motorcycling a lot safer.
    By the way, does anyone out there who happen to have the full service manual for our KIPS. The Kawasaki center charge me RM40 for a blurr photostat copy. This is daylight robbery; man. BTW, I believe manual should come together with the new bike.
    Tang[/quote]

Whatttt??? 40bucks?? man that is daylight roberry brahh..y dint u get a book from your frens and photocopy urself..wouldnt cost that much either?..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:35 am