Kawasaki Kips Owners

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kawasaki Kips Owners

FORUM FOR ALL GENERATION OF KAWASAKI KIPS

+15
Matthew
ninjaKRR
khor
yulizar
ADREY
turbonoshayabusa
hakim
doctor kura-kura
jayjeffrey
rayslasher
kipas
carlnain
nekman
alldisc
KRBKK
19 posters

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences

KRBKK

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences Empty KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences

Post by KRBKK Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm

I'm in Thailand and have an early model KR150. I want to increase the power. A mechanic says the newer models have more power. Before going ahead, I'd be interested to learn about the differences between old and new models. What is the difference in power?

Please answer in English, thank you.
    alldisc
    alldisc

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences Empty Re: KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences

Post by alldisc Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 am

hi there.

well, i am not very familiar with models available in thailand, compare to malaysia. so informations given maybe wrong.

for instance, malaysia have Kawasaki Serpico and Scorpion (both similar, actually) and same with Thailand but I dont know whether the first generation KRZ (also same with serpico) was sold in Thai or not.

basically, there were 2 type of kips. the first one was KIPS, with one expansion chamber while the second SuperKIPS was an improved version with 2 expansion chambers.

there are 3 models utilising superkips powervalve - serpico/scorpion, ZSR and latest known as ZX in malaysia. power output is around the same each (very small differences) even the latest one.

care to share pics of your bike. what year is your KR150?

i will continue this later. welcome to kippers online forum!! study
    alldisc
    alldisc

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences Empty Re: KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences

Post by alldisc Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:09 pm

first model kips.

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences Motoaswad1i

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences Krr1edit KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences W791

Last edited by alldisc on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    KRBKK

Post by KRBKK Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm not sure of the exact year, but the bike was first registered in 1992. I think the KIPS for this model is not as powerful as later models.

The bike goes OK, but I'd be happy to increase power if possible. I could put a new engine, but this would make the registration invalid. So I'd like to update the present engine as much. A mechanic has given me a price for a new KIPS, however I want to be sure of options before going ahead.

Posting pics of my bike is not much help, I've since had it converted to a dirtbike! When it's completely finished with stickers I'll post in the gallery section.
    nekman
    nekman

Post by nekman Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:27 pm

KRBKK wrote:I'm in Thailand and have an early model KR150. I want to increase the power. A mechanic says the newer models have more power. Before going ahead, I'd be interested to learn about the differences between old and new models. What is the difference in power?

Please answer in English, thank you.

Dear Sir, are you from thailand? Welcome to our forum
    I am still new using KIPS, so not much I can tell you from my own experience.

If you can read thailand, please refer to this webpage.

http://2strokeclub.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

It explain the difference between older (1779) vs new (1878) block of kips.

If you know thai language I hope you can translate for us alien

Looking at the picture, i would presume new model of kips has
    1) Bigger exhaust port
    2) Thicker piston ring
    3) Better built bearing.

Overall look like a better design to withstand high speed usage.
    Maybe that is why your mechanic say new model has more power..

Last edited by nekman on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    alldisc
    alldisc

Post by alldisc Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 pm

2nd model KRZ

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences IMG_0013
    KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences IMG_0014

Last edited by alldisc on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    alldisc
    alldisc

Post by alldisc Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

KRBKK wrote:I'm not sure of the exact year, but the bike was first registered in 1992. I think the KIPS for this model is not as powerful as later models.

The bike goes OK, but I'd be happy to increase power if possible. I could put a new engine, but this would make the registration invalid. So I'd like to update the present engine as much. A mechanic has given me a price for a new KIPS, however I want to be sure of options before going ahead.

Posting pics of my bike is not much help, I've since had it converted to a dirtbike! When it's completely finished with stickers I'll post in the gallery section.

aha! got it. the easist way my friend, is to convert your engine block from kips to superkips!!

i envy you since kawasaki parts are cheap in thailand. my suggestion is either to buy 1855 block or 1878. dont buy 1724 block. of course, you have to change the entire powervalve mechanism. where do you stay? bangkok or southern province?
    alldisc
    alldisc

Post by alldisc Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 pm

this is last model ZX, on sale in malaysia and thailand.

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences Krrzx150i
    KRBKK

Post by KRBKK Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:51 pm

alldisc wrote:
    KRBKK wrote:I'm not sure of the exact year, but the bike was first registered in 1992. I think the KIPS for this model is not as powerful as later models.

aha! got it. the easist way my friend, is to convert your engine block from kips to superkips!!

i envy you since kawasaki parts are cheap in thailand. my suggestion is either to buy 1855 block or 1878. dont buy 1724 block. of course, you have to change the entire powervalve mechanism. where do you stay? bangkok or southern province?

Thanks, yes Kawa parts are cheap here, especially secondhand. There are1,000s of KR's around, which is why I made one into a dirtbike, cheap and easy to fix or just change the motor.

Today I spoke to an old mechanic, who said I can basically update the old engine to the new one while retaining the engine number (which I need for reg).

I will probably wait until the old engine is a bit more worn out. I'm interested to know the power difference between models to help me decide.

BTW, the KR makes a great dirt bike, even with the old engine, still plenty of power and very light.

I'm in Bangkok.
    KRBKK

Post by KRBKK Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:36 pm

I think my bike is even earlier than the first model released in Malaysia. Below is a pic, although it may be a little unclear KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences Kr110

Is there a great power difference between the old and newer models? I probably won't touch the original engine for a while, unless there is a big difference in power.

I'd also be interested in the weight of the early models. Mine feels very light, I'm guessing it maybe due to a smaller frame.

Also, as I'm in Bangkok, so if there's anyway I can help other KIPPERS, pls let me know.
    carlnain
    carlnain

Post by carlnain Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:58 pm

KRBKK wrote:Also, as I'm in Bangkok, so if there's anyway I can help other KIPPERS, pls let me know.

How much the price for PDK gold 1855 block n PDK full exhoust system ???

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences Kawasakikr150seur3

Can u c , wat i c bro ???? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by carlnain on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 pm

mine model is back at 1993, part of earlier model, the kr150a..
    yes, the frame is light. Power difference yes there is, later model power is much more greater.
    KRBKK

Post by KRBKK Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. If the newer engine has more power I will look at getting one, but first I want to fix the back suspension and exhaust. Any idea how much extra KW/HP with the new engine?

Regarding prices, I have been told a second hand engine in excellent condition is B6,500, which is a little over US$200 (second hand KRs start from . I will see what I can find out, but pls be patient, I know a good honest mechanic, but he is very busy and I don't trust anyone else. I don't know about shipping to Malaysia, do you have to pay import tax?

What other modifications are popular with the KIPS? What about a larger carb? I have a 32mm Mikuni carb I was thinking of using.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:36 pm

KRBKK wrote:Thanks for the replies. If the newer engine has more power I will look at getting one, but first I want to fix the back suspension and exhaust. Any idea how much extra KW/HP with the new engine?

Regarding prices, I have been told a second hand engine in excellent condition is B6,500, which is a little over US$200 (second hand KRs start from . I will see what I can find out, but pls be patient, I know a good honest mechanic, but he is very busy and I don't trust anyone else. I don't know about shipping to Malaysia, do you have to pay import tax?

What other modifications are popular with the KIPS? What about a larger carb? I have a 32mm Mikuni carb I was thinking of using.

im not sure, but few words flying around telling me that if u fiddle with carbs (34mm) + pdk full system + PDK gold 1855 block + bigger radiator = can get easily 38-40hp @ 240km/h Razz

btw, regarding importing stuff, label it as sample/gift could easily get a cheaper import tax Very Happy

if u can, could u quote me the price for sport rims, 1855 gold pdk block, pdk full exhaust system, koso digital meter, racing footrest, and pdk airbox, thanx Smile
    KRBKK

Post by KRBKK Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:51 am

I will help as much as I can, but additional info would be useful, especially pics. Do you want the stuff new? If so it's easier but more expensive. Were the PDK blocks made in Thailand? The same with other parts, if it wasn't made here then it will be as expansive as Malaysia.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:19 am

KRBKK wrote:I will help as much as I can, but additional info would be useful, especially pics. Do you want the stuff new? If so it's easier but more expensive. Were the PDK blocks made in Thailand? The same with other parts, if it wasn't made here then it will be as expansive as Malaysia.
    well, carlnain giving the pics for most of the stuff i want,
    if can get price for new and 2nd hand stuff much better. huhu,
    anyway, cheers thumbs up for your dirtbike, so far, yours are the most beautiful mod for kips convert to dirtbike. cheers
    alldisc
    alldisc

Post by alldisc Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:40 am

KRBKK wrote:Thanks for the replies. If the newer engine has more power I will look at getting one, but first I want to fix the back suspension and exhaust. Any idea how much extra KW/HP with the new engine?

actually the power output between first generation kips and second gen superkips do not differ much between each other. its around 30-30.5PS. but superkips engine do it with so much more efficiently, saving fuel and improving power delivery at the entire rev range, instead of just top end.

but in the end, the superkips will have a better acceleration due to its stronger mid-range powerband.

there is this model known as ZSR Cyclone, produced in 1998 in Malaysia with some tweaks to the engine and others and therefore capable of about 40hp, an increase of about 25% power. among the changes made were different engine block (1855), CDI, power valve as well as exhaust pipe. but i doubt your scrambler need that extra power.

i understand that there are many ninja 150 components including engine parts are made in thai. therefore, it does make sense for a cheaper pricing in your country.

by the way, the first ninja 150 appeared in Malaysia in late 1989. i think its around the same time as thailand, if not earlier. during that time the local Kawasaki distributor was pretty active with their marketing strategies.
    carlnain
    carlnain

Post by carlnain Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:53 am

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences Img117a1

Super stuff for superkips....
    Can you find out the price ?
    KRBKK

Post by KRBKK Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:14 pm

actually the power output between first generation kips and second gen superkips do not differ much between each other. its around 30-30.5PS. but superkips engine do it with so much more efficiently, saving fuel and improving power delivery at the entire rev range, instead of just top end.

but in the end, the superkips will have a better acceleration due to its stronger mid-range powerband.

there is this model known as ZSR Cyclone, produced in 1998 in Malaysia with some tweaks to the engine and others and therefore capable of about 40hp, an increase of about 25% power. among the changes made were different engine block (1855), CDI, power valve as well as exhaust pipe. but i doubt your scrambler need that extra power.

Thanks for the info it's very helpful. Regarding extra power, this is important for dirt bikes, many 125cc motorcross bikes have around 35hp. However I think a lot of this extra power comes from large carburetors (38mm), enduro bikes generally have less power but are more reliable and fuel efficient. I'm interested to get a little more power, enough to lift the front wheel easily.

So I'm interested to increase power, especially at bottom and mid range, however reliability and fuel consumption are important. I'm also interested in large radiators as overheating can be a problem.

Regarding prices in Thailand, after a web search I found this. Please note, many people over here are using second hand parts, as they're much cheaper. I was quoted $200 for a new engine in excellent condition.

Cylinder block KR 1855 Gold 4550 Baht.
    Cylinder head + ring 1165 Baht Cylinder head + ring 1165 Baht.
    A top cover of cylinder block 1000 baht A top cover of cylinder block 1000 baht.
    O-Ring 125 baht O-Ring 125 baht.
    Order to build new Muffler 2800 baht Order to build new Muffler 2800 baht.
    kipas
    kipas

Post by kipas Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:48 pm

why not u convert your block from kips to super kips...really so much power...
    rayslasher
    rayslasher

Post by rayslasher Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:22 pm

im not an expert in kips but has been using the 1st model, the victor model and the latest zxr150 rr
    From my experience the difference in the latest kips which is the zx150 rr is in the spec of the gearing spec whereby R means racing speck,RR means upgraded racing specks..
    I found out about this through my own experience whereby my 1st 2 model kips doesnt have the pick ups.. but it has the top speed as the latest zx...The 1st 2 model could not beat the Rxz pick up even if i ride it single rider... but the latest zxr.. with standard size spocket and tyre with my wife riding with me, i can easily beaten a single rxz rider which uses small size tyre front and back.. when i first bought the bike i am suprise about it !!

I also played a simulator game ps2 Tourist throphy.. whereby u can select a same bike with different spec.. example cbr 600rr standard and cbr rr racing modified...
    the difference are... for normal cbr the 1st gear is very long.. u can reach a speed of 140kmh with only 1st gear but the pick up is a bit slow. the difference of the speed between the 1st and second gear is about 30kmh means that the max speed for gear 2 is 170kmh if u dont chnage the gear u cant get faster coz the rpm for that gear has reach its max point

For the rr spec the ratio is different... the 1st gear can push only up to 75km/h but its
    faster achieved, the second gear it goes up + 45 km/h so the gear max speed is only 110km/h the same goes to the 3rd gear it adds up another 45kmh so at rge 3rd gear you reach around 165KM/H but at faster pace compare to the standard rr version.. for the rr racing version it came with adjustable gear ratio which can be adjusted by adjusting the size of your spocket

as i compared it with my bike performance with a standard spocket size the gear ratio of the bike is as follows

1st gear = 55 kmh +25 =speed of the next gear
    2nd gear = 80 kmh +35
    3rd gear = 115 kmh +40
    4th gear = 155 kmh + 25
    5thn gear= 175 kmh + 10
    6th gear - 185 kmh at this stage the engine wants to go up more but the speed has been limited by the size of the spocket which in my case the max size which is 42/15

So different user with different type of spocket and tyre will produce different results..

if u use big spockets the pick up@ acceleration will be strong but u will have limited top speed.. but with a smaller spocket like i have tried before using 39/14 combination and a one size smaller rear tyre i can reach 185 ++ kmh at only 5th gear but in terms of acceleration its weak... your bike will only start to kick after the 3rd gear
    jayjeffrey
    jayjeffrey

Post by jayjeffrey Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:07 am

perfect sprocket for me is currently 15-39 428. Nice to cruise on highways, 140kmh without even having PV opened. 5th gear 10.5k rpm goes 180kmh. Its comfortable for daily use and satisfy my crave for highway speeds. Less frequent gear shifts on congested/heavy traffics. 15-41 is more balanced, however, its tiring shifting too often as the RPM just fly as it wish.
    doctor kura-kura
    doctor kura-kura

Post by doctor kura-kura Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Just to share..pick from Thai forum Q&A...

Q1) Is PDK Gold Super Kips the best cylinder block for KR150SE? Does Kawasaki Thailand produce PDK Super Kips as OEM / standard parts for KR150SE?
    Ans 1- Cylinder block gold of KR150SE is special edition limited; it has modified from factory already. Now there is no produce.
    [color=red]If we order new cylinder block at this time, we will receive cylinder block gold or silver which not different in detail not like only color color.The cost of cylinder block is 4550 baht.
    1 Thai baht = 0.029 U.S. dollars

Q2) How fast is KR150SE in standard condition / with no modification at all? 230 km/h?
    Ans 2- About 200 Km/H

Q3) Does Kawasaki Thailand produce Tsukigi Muffler System as OEM / standard parts for KR150SE?
    Ans 3 - Yes, PDK factory produce Tsukigi Muffler as OEM of Kawasaki KR150SE. But now end of contract, PDK are not produce Tsukigi again.
    If you want new muffler at this time, you can order from DBS http://www.fcciracing.com/NEWSITE/accessories/HTML/RacProduct/Dang/exhaustDang.html
    or other bike shop as you know.

Q4) Which one faster between KRR-SSR and KR150SE in standard condition?
    Ans 4 - KR150SE

Q5) Which one better between Tsukigi Muffler System and DBS Muffler System ?
    Ans 5 - I think only a bit different.

Q6) How much is the price for new parts (in Bath Thailand) :
    Ans 6 -. PDK Super KIPS Gold Cylinder, together with the Cylinder Head & Super KIPS mekanism.
    -. Tsukigi Muffler System.
    -. DBS Muffler System.
    -. Complete Fairing for KR150SE or KRR-SSR.

Complete fairing with Fuel Tank 7800 Baht
    Cylinder block KR 1855 Gold 4550 Baht
    Cylinder head + ring   1165 Baht
    A top cover of cylinder block 1000 baht
    O-Ring 125 baht
    Order to build new Muffler   2800 baht

Q8)Does Thailand still produce racing parts for KR150?
    Ans 8 - In Thailand KR or 150 cc. 2 stroke engine are conserve motorcycle. Hahaha
    New motorcycle which produces for sell in Thailand must be 4 stroke engines.

Q9) Where is the best place to buy KR150 and NSR150SP Parts? Do you guys have e-mail for the store?
    Ans 9 - Kawasaki Motors Enterprise (Thailand) Co.,Ltd.
    http://www.kawasaki.co.th/ka/contact.html

hakim
    hakim

Post by hakim Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 pm

jayjeffrey wrote:perfect sprocket for me is currently 15-39 428. Nice to cruise on highways, 140kmh without even having PV opened. 5th gear 10.5k rpm goes 180kmh. Its comfortable for daily use and satisfy my crave for highway speeds. Less frequent gear shifts on congested/heavy traffics. 15-41 is more balanced, however, its tiring shifting too often as the RPM just fly as it wish.

Is it possible to combine 15-39 sprocket with 520 chain?
    jayjeffrey
    jayjeffrey

Post by jayjeffrey Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:59 am

bro, thats the stock factory chain/sprocket size for the zx150...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:10 pm